With a rich mushroom sauce, this vegetarian take on a classic stroganoff served over golden quinoa is very satisfying and absolutely delicious. Fresh herbs are added to provide color and freshness. Earthy mushrooms complement the nuttiness of the quinoa making it a well-rounded dish.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 cup Tiny Hero® Golden Quinoa
- 3 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 lb sliced mixed mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley, divided
- A splash of red wine, brandy, sherry or port to the sauce if desired.
- In saucepan, bring 4 cups water to boil; add quinoa. Simmer for 12 to 15minutes or until tender; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tbsp butter in large skillet set over medium-high heat. In 2 batches, sauté mushrooms, salt and pepper, for 6to 8 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to plate; set aside.
- In same skillet set over medium heat, melt remaining butter; cook onion, garlic and thyme for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook for about 12 minutes or until golden brown and starting to caramelize.
- Stir in tomato paste; cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth and Worcestershire sauce; bring to boil. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in reserved mushrooms; cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and half of the parsley.
- Divide quinoa among 4 plates. Top with mushroom tomato stroganoff. Sprinkle with remaining parsley